Some people support us, some think we are crazy...but Saudi Arabia will now be called "home" by the Haynies.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Trip to Bahrain

My colleague and new best friend Peter T and I went on an adventure to Bahrain today.  I was getting a little stir crazy here on camp so it was time to see something new.  We rented a taxi to take us across the causeway and it was a series of tollbooths and very crazy lines that move along very slowly.  Once across we headed to the north end of the island to see the Grand mosque and National Museum.  Unfortunately my initial entrance into the mosque wasn't very smooth because I went in to the general worship area dressed inappropriately (short pants) and I created a little bit of a stir for a small group of Muslims who were practicing the call to prayer at the feet of the ranking caller.  They ushered me out of the room and asked that I wear a Thaub (thoobe), it was cool.  We learned about how prayers are delivered, how to enter and position yourself and other worship formalities.  It was a beautiful building that incorporated building materials from all over the world (Marble from Italy, teak wood from India, glass globes from France, stained windows from Iran.  The current value of the mosque is estimated at 100 million.  It also contains the 2nd largest dome found in mosques around the world.  I left with a greater understanding and respect of their house of worship.

From there we went to the national museum.  It was filled with some very interesting exhibits and a very cool tile floor that served as a huge map of the island.  We had to hurry through this though because our taxi driver's friend was having problems and our guy needed to meet him.  So he dropped us off at the nearest mall and sped way.  Peter and I kicked around the mall for a minute and then decided it was time to introduce ourselves to a burger and fries.

All in all a great day filled with amazing experiences.  I look forward to going back there when the rest of the family arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment