Some people support us, some think we are crazy...but Saudi Arabia will now be called "home" by the Haynies.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

It is June 9th 2011 @ 11:07a Saudi Time as I write this.  I arrived here on May 29th and it's been crazy wonderful every minute since.  In addition to what Alex has written in our opening statement to the world (btw I love what you've done to this blog SnoOper), I'd like to add some random thoughts about the past 9 days.  I've been lucky to not have experienced any jet lag - I think it's because the flights over here were great and synced up as much as possible to acclimate to the new time zone. 
It's weird to think that I'm sometimes a day ahead of people in the US.  The night I arrived David (my coworker ALex mentioned) took me to what he said was my house, it was in the middle of renovation with no electricity and half the appliances missing.  I kinda felt like he was trying to "punk" me on my first night here, so I played along.  I told him that his payback is coming soon (stay tuned it's in the works).  The house we've been assigned is very nice, it's a 60 sec walk to the beach and has plenty of room.  The company stocked it with some essentials to get me through the first few days-that was greatly appreciated. 
Speaking of appreciation, the Chandlers have been absolutely amazing and incredible in helping our family transition as well as looking out for me since I arrived.  Together we've seen Al Kobar to do some shopping/sight seeing and it was great.  I've learned that everything revolves around prayer time, so we have to be cognizant of what time it is so that we are not stranded in the heat. 
The awareness that impacts me the most is that this is the REAL DEAL.  There is no pretense or facades, this country is governed a certain way, there are no tourist traps that present a made up version of things.  It's quite an impact when you see certain things and realize why they are there in this society and the reason behind it.  I always stop and listen to the call to prayer that resonates from speakers atop the mosques.  It is just one of many things that drive the point home that we are in a foreign place with unfamiliar traditions. I remain inquisitive and respectful of those things around me and will strive to know more about them.
 As I mentioned, the beach is real close and I've already been in the Arabian Gulf twice and loved it.  In the morning I have a 7 min bike ride to work along the beach (it sure beats a 45 min crowded freeway in Snowy weather) which puts me in a pretty good mood when I get to the office.  It is hot here, but I wake up at 4:30 get my morning routine done and then start peddling at 6:50a to be at staff meeting by 7a. 
My work load so far has been to deal with the daunting stack of paper work, hoops and logistics that come with moving and working here.  It is taking every bit of patience, know how and resourcefulness I posses to plow through it.  The rule of thumb is that it takes 4 times to get something done and plan on it taking 4 times as long.  Once I adapt to this reality it will be better I'm sure. 
There have been many people who have done a heroic job in helping me navigate through this process.  I seriously don't know what I would have done without them.  I feel like I'm shoveling a 100 yard driveway of 3 foot high snow, I know there's an end in sight but it's slow going.  Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of great things about being here and the momentary labor pains I'm currently experiencing will certainly be worth it.
WE are fortunate to have a small group of folks who share our same beliefs and we are blessed to be able to meet together and reinforce each other and our testimony.  It is a great piece of mind to know that they are here too.

I look forward to the rest of the family arriving in July, we are praying that Makena's Visa will make it on time too.  With any luck Alex will show up soon to begin her internship.  We are currently processing her visa to hopefully come right away.

I will commit to frequent (and much shorter)entries that hopefully will keep you up to date with goings-on in KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia).  Until then, I wish you the best and hope to see you soon

1 comment:

  1. I had heard rumors for awhile now that the Haynies were considering moving to Saudi Arabia. I chalked them up to poorly communicated gossip -- maybe San Antonio but surely not Saudi Arabia.

    Well, you really did it. Now, I'm dying to find out the details. What kind of work are you doing Mike? How long do you plan to stay? Is all the family going? What are you doing with your house in Burley? Who is going to go to Lake Powell with the Davis family?

    I've been planning to call you Mike to find out about this adventure. Now, I'll have to call Krishna and ask her.

    It's good to hear you've arrived there safely. I hope everything works out well. We (the Davis family) have talked about your possible move for the past few months -- wondering if you were really going to do it. We will miss you but know you did the right thing for your family. We'll be praying for you and hoping to hear all about your experiences.

    Love, Cary Davis (and family)

    ReplyDelete