Some people support us, some think we are crazy...but Saudi Arabia will now be called "home" by the Haynies.

Friday, June 10, 2011

The weekend redefined

One of the many new things to get used to is that the weekend is on Thursday and Friday.  It's strange, but I've actually have fallen into this routine quite easily.  I think my brain has basically said that everything else is so strange and different, why not just accept this too without a fight.  This past Thursday was a day for me to hunker down in the new house and put some things into order.  This has helped at some level to begin feeling a small sense of normalcy. 

After an early morning meal I called a taxi and ventured off on my first solo trip outside of the camp.  I went to Rahima to buy some cleaning supplies and basic food stuff.  Also, there is a great sidewalk store that sells brick oven bread (imagine a pizza style oven).  The chef will roll out a circular piece of dough, smash in on a spherical shaped pillow and then open the oven door, while holding on to the pillow, quickly toss it so that the dough comes off the pillow and sticks to the wall of the oven.  Give it a about 7 minutes and you have the best bread product I have ever eaten.  To complete the experience, I went nest door and ordered a hot soup called Dahl.  Think of green split pea soup but only orange with a really good flavor.  It now has become my meal of choice here.

After the trip I came home and completely wore myself out watching both me gardner (Ikbar) and our house boy (Reddi) whip the place into shape.  I was so exhausted that I needed to take a nap after they were done.  Actually, it did provide me time to prepare my "welcome to the branch" talk on Friday.

As I write this, it is 5p Friday and the meeting went well.  There are some amazing people who attend and I am very impressed with their individual stories and commitment.  It is a very unique opportunity to associate with them and be a part of this branch in the nether part of the vineyard.

Well, I've decided to give myself a treat and have a poptart and a glass of my new favorite punch I found here Kiwi Lime. 

All my best to you,
Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment