Some people support us, some think we are crazy...but Saudi Arabia will now be called "home" by the Haynies.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Staying distracted

As the days and hours shorten until the arrival of my family, I've found I need to keep myself occupied to prevent self-imposed hysteria.  So my strategies lately have included a new wrinkle to my exercise routine - swimming. 

I've never been known to stand out as a swimmer, in fact a calendar instead of a stop watch would be more useful when timing me, however I find that I really love it.  It gives me a needed respite from the unearthly heat and humidity as well as some great alone time.

More by circumstances than choice an impromptu men's association has been formed.  Membership requires that you are currently a bachelor and/or without family.  There are quite a few of us now from church and work that fit into this category.

A typical gathering includes dinner at the golf club (killer chicken burritos), bowling, a run to Rhahima for needed groceries, and finally a major jam session without instruments. Well knowing that my time is short with the boys club, I decided to make hay at the alley.  So my team (posmo = Peter and me) took on team Neg-stag (David and Randy). 

After finding my favorite ball "goldie" and lacing up my brand new bowling shoes I proceeded to enter the zone / flow.  All the stars aligned and the spirits of past bowling greats shined down on me as I proceeded to roll a 176 followed up with a 154.  The ironic thing is that my new found bowling prowess was all the doing of my competitor David - he taught me the now famous left handed spin shot.

After words, we went to get some bread and dahl at our favorite place, and you can see that I actually got to retrieve the bread from the jaws of the oven with special Afgani skewers (see pic).  It was a pretty fun night that helped all of us forget how lonesome we are.

As I write this the time remaining for their touchdown is 82 hours and 26 mins - but hey, who's counting???



 

1 comment:

  1. We party with your family tomorrow night! Then we'll send them off to you on Sun. I hope you hang in there, and remember to kick when you swim not just use arms.... Love ya!

    ReplyDelete